Thursday, July 30, 2009

Peter Garrett in Trouble

Has Peter Garrett sold out? For decades he was the rock 'n roll face of environmental activism, but at the moment, he is under criticism for selling out his values and beliefs as a Minister in the Rudd government. Recently, as Environment Minister, he approved an extra Uranium mine for South Australia, something that he was very strongly opposed to in his previous life and criticised the governments of the day for even considering.

For a bit more info, here is a Courier Mail article on this story, and a 7:30 Report news item from the other night.

So, what is going on? Has Peter Garrett sold out? It is hard to say from this kind of distance, but there are some things that I've been thinking about in relation to this and it has to do with how we understand "integrity". In the case of Peter Garrett, people are criticising him for not living up to, as a government Minister, what he stood for as a political activist and rock star. But is it possible to stand for the same things, but have it look completely different depending on the role or context you are in? Is it possible to be an activist and rage against the government (what a luxurious position to be in), and be in the government (being raged against) and actually be on about the same thing, but realise that you have to go about it in a completely different way?

I think the mistake that people make when they question the integrity of people in difficult positions, is they think that intergrity means "doing the same thing in every situation". My thoughts on intergrity is that is means "standing for the same thing in every situation" (but this might involve doing things completely different in each of these situations).

So, I'm backing Mr Garrett at this stage. There are a few things he has said that make me think that he gets this, and that he is willing to take the flack of being misundertood to make the most of his position as a government Minister for the sake of the government. I am so niave...

Any thoughts?...

Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Just on Peter Garrett's own thoughts on his own integrity...

    Kerry O'Brien of the ABC's 7:30 Report asked Peter Garrett about what he thinks about the criticism he has been getting about his apparent hypocrisy, and he gives a really good answer.

    He says, "Well, look, Kerry, it's a genuine question. I can only answer it by saying that I believe that I am performing my role as a minister in the Government and as Environment Minister, not only to the best of my ability, not only consistent with the platform that we took to the election, but also to do the very best for the environment that I can, and that's how I expect to be judged.

    I have been really clear that I now work as a politician. I'm a Cabinet Minister, and I think it does take time for, if you like, everybody to get a sense of what I have decided to do and how I'm doing it. I expect to be judged for it, but I think that some of the debate and questions about how I feel, and am I emotionally tied to this or that, ignore one really important fact. And that is this: I'm an elected politician, a member of parliament, and a Cabinet Minister, and my duties and responsibilities are particularly clear.

    If you're interested in having a look, then go to: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2009/s2659857.htm

    ReplyDelete

 
You will need to update the "xxxx-x" in the sample above with your own Google Analytics account number. Note that the following line of code must be placed on the page before any reference to the pageTracker object. var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("xxxx-x");